Monday, February 11, 2013

From Sandy to Snowy

We had a sizable snowstorm here over the weekend.  Started out as rain on Friday morning and turned to snow by afternoon.  Kept on coming down all night long Friday night, and this is what I saw out my front door at 7am Saturday:

Looking straight out the door, to Rockland Court.  That's an unplowed cul-de-sac road between the trees.  It remained unplowed until the following day, since priority was given to plowing the thru-streets first.


My big pine tree, and my 'buried' car:

Later that day. . .  the backyard.  (Just so you can judge the depth of the snow, I'll tell ya that's a 6 foot stockade fence at the back end of the property.)

The shed. . .

Another way to get some idea of how deep the snow was. . . .  This is my picnic table.  Seems it has a pretty big "dome" of snow on it.

Looking across the front of my house, towards neighbors' Pete and Suzanne's.  I had forgotten that they were away for the week. . . .  in Las Vegas.   . . .and just got home late yesterday.  Suz told me they were stuck at the airport there until 3am. . . .  not only because the NY airports were closed, but because the plane they were supposed to board had one of it's engines "flame out."  A mess of a trip and a mess of a sight to come home to. . . .

Pete and Suz's - before they got home:

Looking from street in front of Pete and Suz's towards my place:

After the dig-out.  The gray car is my 95-year-old neighbor Rocky's.  He wanted to keep his driveway clear of it so that his Lizbeth's car - in their garage - would more easily be able to get out of the garage and down their driveway. 

Didn't lose any power during this storm.  Not many outages were reported at all.  L.I. Power Authority must have learned a few things from SANDY about how to handle big storms.  The worst that happened was that a lot of folks driving home from work on Friday afternoon got stuck in it. . . . REALLY stuck in it.  Cars were abandoned on roads all over the place.  I stayed at home all weekend until just this afternoon (Monday), when the roads were finally starting to be passable.  Just HAD to get out for awhile, do some shopping, and see what the mountains of snow piled up along the roads and in the parking lots looked like.

No comments:

Post a Comment