Thursday, August 13, 2015

Miller Time

So I finished up my second "survey trail" this morning, the George Miller Trail in the Carquinez Strait Regional Shoreline. Piece of cake by comparison to the one I did on Tuesday. And this is the fourth time I've hiked it.  But it seems there's always something in it that I didn't see before.  

Less than one year old, the park was opened only a few weeks before my arrival in Martinez last November. The trail is paved and there's no "obstacle course" of bumpy ground, rocks, roots or trees hemming-in the hikers. I was thinking as I walked it "Like a walk in Central Park!" The views, tho, are much better than those there. . . .


In a cavern, near a canyon, Excavating for a mine,

Lived a miner, forty-niner. . . . 


 (Can't figure out what kind of 

critter, if any, makes its home here.)







Pretty stuff grows just about anywhere. . .





Returning the love to the tree-huggers?





Train a-coming. Good old Union Pacific. . . .









I call them Lloyd, Jeff and Beau. . . .




Seems they want to add some more to this trail. . . .  (Today's trail is the zig-zaggy "out-and-back" one in yellow. Last Tuesday's - up near the hillttops - are the "loop-trails" in green.)


Parking lot at the far west end of the trail. We have no parking lot on the Martinez side; people have to park along the Carquinez Scenic Drive roadway over there.

Just a nice bunch. . . .

The old abandoned brickyard near the west end of the trail . . .

Reversing direction and heading back to Martinez now. This is an "out-and-back" trail.




There's three or four picnic tables at various places along the trail. The trail is so "tame" that a lot of Moms bring their infants in strollers!

Lots of brown leaves on these trees. Some of them look like they're not going to make it thru the end of the summer.





Lord, I was born a bramblin' man. . . .



"Wally World." (Okay, it's not a wall, but looked like it might be from a distance.)


That hawk seemed a lot closer, in person.

And that concludes my survey of Carquinez Strait Regional Shoreline, both the "upper" loop trails - which I hiked up above this one on Tuesday - and this out-and-back "lower" one.  I had fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment