Thursday, December 29, 2016

On The Road Again

So on Wednesday morning we checked-out of the resort. . . .
(Cylindrical Stanley was all ready to go before any of the rest of us.)



. . . .and we headed down the road a piece to go to a Perkins Restaurant for breakfast and to say our goodbyes. . . .  Mikey, Meredith and the girls headed back to South Carolina, and I headed south to visit old friends.

I told Michael I liked his shirt:

I stopped along the way to Pompano Beach in Delray Beach and met my Boss, Karen, from my stint at DMV some years back.  Karen has been fully retired and enjoying life here in Florida for the past several years.  Many of my and her friends from the old job often come to visit her, especially at this time of year when New York is an "iceberg" compared to here. She's a wonderful person, one of the best bosses I've ever had.  We went to "Deck 84" an open-air restaurant right on the Intercoastal Waterway in downtown Delray Beach, as we did about 4 years ago when I was here last.  We chewed the fat and caught up on our news for about 2 and a half hours, over Margharitas and Cuba Libres. . . .
(Yes, I'm back to imbibing once again. . . .  but on a much more limited basis than I did before the ticker problems of last year.)

One of the Valet guys was nice enough to take our photo as we departed:

After our Lun-ner (combo Lunch and Dinner. . .  Hey if they can call a mid-morning meal Brunch, we decided to call our mid-afternoon meal Lunner) I continued on my merry way to see old friend Jane about 1/2 hour farther south off I-95.  Jane made a nice smaller meal for me and we, too, talked on-and-on about what's gone on over the past 4 years in our lives.

I checked-in at a nearby motel for the night at about 10pm, much later than I'd expected. Having phoned from Jane's place to make sure they saved my room for me was a good idea. Seems they had "reserved" the best room in the place for me!  At no extra charge.  Tho, in my judgement, the room looked just a little too "kitschy" for my tastes.  I was also welcomed by Jiminy Cricket.  I guess he got out and away from Donkey Island in DisneyWorld and had come to remind me to Always Let My Conscience Be My Guide. . . .

Okay, okay, so he's not really a cricket.  He's a Palmetto Bug, quite common even indoors hereabouts. And he's not very big compared to others I've seen. . . .  some two or even three times this guy's size. I didn't have the heart to evict him. He's still there in the bathtub.  I will see him to the door in the morning, when I want to let him know it's MY turn to use the shower.

I should be a Hindu. Who knows, I may come back some day as a Palmetto Bug myself!

I heard from Mikey a short time after I checked-in.  He and Meredith and the girls made it back home to South Carolina safe and sound.

So, in spite of Jiminy "crashing my party" I had a very good day re-connecting with some very good old friends!

To be continued. . . .


No comments:

Post a Comment