Wednesday, November 29, 2017

The Trip's Culmination. . .

So on Wednesday afternoon I took my annual trip to go see "a certain someone." On the way there, I was surprised to see something new on the Long Island Expressway, too.

Pretty neat. The Long Island WELCOME CENTER. Even has a "Long Island Walk of Fame" on the sidewalk outside of it, with brass stars emblazoned with names of famous Long Islanders like Billy Crystal, Teddy Roosevelt, and a wide assortment of characters.




Continuing on my way, I finally made it to the cemetery. My Missus is still there. No surprise there.


And so ends my journey of remembrance. I head on over to New Jersey tomorrow (Thursday) to say my goodbye to sis-in-law Liz, Rick, and niece Aimee and family. I fly out of Newark early Friday and will be back home in Alameda in time for dinner that day.  It's been a whirlwind 2 weeks and 2 days for me.  It's been fun, but I don't know that I'll be able to keep doing this every year any more.  NY and L.I. just aren't the places that they used to be. My memory of what it was like is better than my perception of what it IS now. Time will tell if I'll be making these trips every year, as I've done for the past 3 years. I'm doubting that I will.  I am a Californian now, and the lyrics to my new home state's song ring in my ears. . .  Especially the LAST VERSE:


        HIT it boys!. . . .


No matter what, tho. . .  I intend to stay in touch with all my old friends and relatives back here in New York. Facebook is an excellent way to do that, as is using Emails and picking up the phone once in awhile too!

The End


No comments:

Post a Comment