Sunday, August 7, 2016

I've Been Working on the Railroad (& so have my grandsons)

Spent some time at the steam-trains in Tilden Park last Saturday (August 6).  Jimbo and Jessica took the boys there and I went along. A good time was had by all. . . .

Teddy & Charlie even got to ring the steam locomotive's bell:



It is a very scenic ride. . . .


The seating is not First Class. . . .  But I was able to squeeze into a gondola car with this bunch:

I got the idea to bring Teddy and Charlie up to the front of the train to ring the bell after I saw that the engineer was letting anyone who asked do it. . . .

It's a steam boiler, but fueled by kerosene instead of coal.

Here she comes. Stay clear!

Not the Rock Island Line, but you still DO need to get your ticket at the station. . . .

I hear the train a-comin' she's comin' round the bend. And I ain't seen the sunshine since I don't know when. . . .

Teddy is eager to get on board. . . .

The smaller trains are in a "punchbowl" down below the big one that takes you around the area.   There's at least a half-dozen different sized rails (gauges)  and the trains that fit onto them.  Interesting.  Most of the guys who belong to the Train Club here have either built their own trains or bought them from previous owners who custom-built them for themselves.  Seems like a lot of them are retired steamfitters and welders, if not engineers and railroad employees.



Hey Baba. . . .  I want you to buy THAT one!

 It is a unique, one-of-a-kind place.



The bulletin-board near the "punchbowl":

Interesting close-up of the bumper sticker that's on it. . .


THE END




No comments:

Post a Comment